O.I.A.A.A. Executive Committee March 2014 Meeting Minutes
Minutes—Executive Committee Meeting
State Conference Planning Committee:
Major points of emphasis were presenters, and keynote speakers for the fall conference. Still seeking 1.
Called to Order:
· The meeting was called to order by President Tim Erickson at 10:02 am.
Attendance: X – in attendance
Executive Director: x Bruce Brown (NE)
District Rep. (C) x Steve Conley
Past President/Program Chair: Matt Shomper (SW)
District Rep. (E) x Ray Hibbs
President: x Tim Erickson (NW)
District Rep. (NE) x Rob Eckenrode
President Elect: x Paul Powers (NE)
District Rep. (NW) x Susie Felver
Secretary: x Bo Hanson (C)
District Rep. (SW) Tim Cook
Treasurer: x Randy King (C)
District Rep. (SE) x Bo Arnett
LTI/Newsletter Chair: x Glen Gillespie (NW)
Awards Chair: x Bill Schumacher (NE)
Exhibit Chair: x Phil Poggi (SW)
Website Chair: x Erich Fromback (NE)
NIAAA Cert. Chair: x Paul Moses
Program Chair: x Tom Farbizo (E)
OHSAA: x Dr. Ross OHSAA: Jerry Snodgrass OASSA: Ken Baker
I. Action Items
A. Additions to the Agenda:
B. Approval of Agenda:
· A motion was made by Susie F. and seconded by Steve C. to approve the agenda. The motion was carried.
C. Approval of Minutes:
· A motion was made by Steve Conley and seconded by Rob Eckenrode to approve the minutes from the Executive Committee meeting. The motion was carried.
D. Approval of Financial Report:
· A motion was made by Paul Powers and seconded by Susie Felver to approve the financial report as of 3/16/14. The balance as of March 16th was checking-$9,989.77, savings-$56,408.39. The motion was carried.
II. Information Items
A. Membership Report: Randy King
· Two new members have been added, new membership forms were distributed, and changes were discussed. The new registration form is now two forms: current and retired memberships.
B. OASSA Report:
· No Report.
C. OHSAA Report: Dr. Ross
· Dr. Ross discussed the state hockey finals, the fall petition (which fell through due to lack of signatures) and the remaining discussion was on Competitive Balance.
A lengthy discussion was led by Dr. Ross and he provided a worksheet that provided direction as to what was being introduced to be voted on this spring. Questions were fielded and answered by Dr. Ross.
D. NIAAA Report: Bruce Brown
· Discussion was held w/o Bruce in the room about nominating him for the Citation Award and Ralph Young for the Hall of Fame Award.
E. Conference Report: Paul Powers
· Currently still seeking one speaker, will take suggestions. The vendor fees increased with increased exposure and wi-fi availability. Social will be in the main ballroom.
F. Website Report: Erich Frombach
· Discussed the site “hits” and which sections of the site had the most activity; Erich also discussed ideas as to how to get more exposure on the site:
– Try to drive people to the “openings” page.
– Have the individual districts post info on the OIAAA site also.
G. Awards Report: Bill Schumacher
· Names needed by the May meeting for awards for this year. Discussion was held about promoting Ohio for awards at the national level
· Committee will consist of Glenn, Tom, Steve & Paul M.
H. Leadership Training Report: Glenn Gillespie
· Webinars available in April for LTI courses.
· Ad Hoc Committe to look at professional development and to put together an 18 month calendar listing these events.
· Summer Institute was discussed again and has been pushed out.
I. Certification Report: Paul Moses
· Discussed the development of a mentor program, marketing certification to the principals and superintendents.
J. Newsletter Report: Glenn Gillespie
· Current newsletter is out. One more newsletter will go out before the end of May.
· Please have any information by the May meeting to be included in the next edition.
K. Executive Directors Report: Bruce Brown
· Discussed Corporate Partners.
· Discussed the use of Survey Monkey and how to get more results. Jerry Snodgrass has offered his SM account to provide us the opportunity to draw more respondents.
· Mark Princehorn has retired and was a member of the SEI committee. We will need to replace.
· Discussion was held on Section 2 dates: 6/18,19,20th of June.
· Discussion was also held about the function of the past presidents, and how to utilize their legacy in a productive way.
III. New Business:
A. Tech/Software partnership: Bruce Brown
· Committee of Steve C, Paul P. Bruce B, Susie F and Scott Kaufman (Lakota HS) will meet on 3/18 with five vendors to see how they can address improvements to entering events “one time” for data entry.
· The vendors are 8 to 18, Schedule Star, Digital Scout, VNN and Big Teams.
IV. Discussion Items:
A. District Reports:
1. Central—Steve Conley
Spring Conference on 4/9/14 at Huntington Park at 9:00 AM with baseball to follow.
2. Northwest—Glenn Gillespie
NW roundtable on 4/23/14.
3. Northeast–Rob Eckenrode
Spring Conference on 4/28 at Sheraton Suites in Cuyahoga Falls; Gary Waters keynote speaker.
4. East–Ray Hibbs
Spring Conference/Golf on 4/24 at Atwood Lodge with HOF induction of Kevin Keffer.
5. Southwest—Paul Pogi
Spring Golf outing and dinner on 5/19.
6. Southeast—Bo Arnett
Spring Golf outing on 5/9
A. Next Meeting:
· Sunday, May 18th, 2014 at the OHSAA offices. Conference planning Committee meeting will start at 9:00 AM with the Executive Committee meeting to start at 10:00 AM.
B. Move to Adjourn:
· A motion was made by Steve C. and seconded by Bo A. to adjourn the meeting. The motion carried. The meeting adjourned at 12:33 PM.
C. Upcoming Dates of Note:
Future Meeting Dates and times:
-Conference planning meetings to begin at 9:00 AM and Executive meetings at 10:00 AM.
-Sunday May 18th Sunday August 17th
-Sunday October 19th Sunday Nov. 16th Sunday January 25, 2015
-Sunday March 15th Sunday May 17th.
NIAAA Section 2 Meeting Dates:
June 19-22, 2014 Host State: Delaware June 18-21, 2015 Host State: Kentucky
June 16-18, 2016 Host State: Maryland June 15-17, 2017 Host State: Ohio
June 15-17, 2018 Host State: Pennsylvania June 13-15,2019 Host State: Virginia
June TBD, 2020 Host State: West Virginia
Future OIAAA Conference Dates:
November 16-18, 2014 (NW) Hilton Easton November 15-17, 2015 (E)
November 13-15, 2016 (SE) November 12-14, 2017 (C)
Future NIAAA Conference Dates:
December 12-16, 2014 National Harbor, Maryland
December 11-15, 2015 Orlando, Florida
December 9-15, 2016 Nashville, Tennessee